How much do you know or have you noticed about the? Test yourself with this quiz.
- Names – A. Which sweetshop has Chitty Chitty Bang Bang connections? B. Which jewellery store could be explosive? C. What does Dr. Feelgood specialise in?
- Natural history – Which creatures are associated with: A. a former shoe shop? B. an old coaching inn? C. a luncheonette opposite an old bank?
- International– A. Which shop greets its customers with ‘wilamy’? B. Which café has links with the Bosporus? C. Which café sounds worldwide?
- Pictures – A. Whose tower? B. Whose hinge? C. Whose bracket?
5. History – A. How do the Victorian engineers Ransomes and Rapier still help people progress up and down the High Street? B. What was the Café Nero building used for in the 1920s? C. Which two inns stood on the site of Halfords and Peacocks on either side of Globe Lane?
6. Signs – A. Where does ‘Ian Newberry & Co. Solicitors’ appear on the premises of Tony Newman, Estate Agents? B. Which shop stocks ‘paraffin wax, genuine turpentine and linseed oil, raw and boiled’? C. Which café advertises ‘XVI c tea rooms’?
Send me the answers if you know them to firstname.lastname@example.org . I will post them up next week. Jenny