As Christmas is approaching, it’s time for our prize Christmas and New Year Quiz. If you need a bit of quiet time over the holidays, why not sit down for half an hour and have a go? The questions all relate to people, premises and events in the High Street and most of the answers can be found on the blog. Use the search box and have a browse. Entries can be handed in or posted to the Poole History Centre, 4, High Street Poole BH15 1BW or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com . The closing date is Sunday 6th January. Don’t worry if you haven’t answered every question; you might still have the best entry so send it in! The prize is a copy of the brand new title Poole Then and Now by Ian Andrews and Frank Henson, signed by the authors. Good luck and have fun!
Which number in the High Street . . . .
1. Was the merchant William Barfoot’s house in 1751? / 2. Is on the site of the old house known as the Priory? / 3. Was the scene of a jewellery raid in 1899? / 4. Did outfitters T. Perrins and Son trade from for over 50 years? / 5. Is the Hospice Shop in 2012?
Where . . . .
6. Was the Zebra Bar? / 7. Did Johnson Melledge hide his silverware? / 8. Was the Port Mahon Castle Hotel? / 9. Can you see an arcade of plane trees? / 10. Did Peter Hiley live in the late 17th century?
Who . . . .
11. Made the weather vane that crowned the dome of the old Poole Library? / 12. Was the treasurer to the Poole Wesleyan Sunday School for many years in the mid 19th century? / 13. Erected an obelisk to his son who died in the Crimea? / 14. Was Tom Hookey? / 15. Was found guilty of the death of John Mountier, alias Christmas?
Why . . . .
16. Was John Williams arrested in 1865? / 17. Did Thomas Parrot place a notice in the newspaper? / 18. Was a cheese and wine evening held in the Arndale Centre in 1971? / 19. Did Elizabeth Harvey (allegedly) swear at her husband? / 20. Was grocer Henry Dorsett targetted by a mob in 1899?
When . . . .
21. Was the first turf dug to begin the building of the Arndale centre? / 22. Was the railway built across the High Street? / 23. Did James Bravery open the Poole Electric Theatre? / 24. Was a photographer first recorded on the High Street? / 25. Was the first widening of High Street announced?