Once a rural area of farms, woods, winding country lanes and desolate heath-land, Parkstone was totally transformed during the 19th and early 20th century. As the population of Poole and the new town of Bournemouth grew, of course, many people moved out to the scenic suburbs. The coming of the railway was another factor, and also the growth of industry in the area. George Jennings’ South Western Pottery was opened in 1856 and by 1861 was employing 97 men and 18 boys – this in an area with a total population of only 1,134. It must have had an enormous impact.
George Jennings was an interesting character, a typical Victorian entrepreneur with a genius for invention, leading a revolution in sanitation and drainage, and products from his pottery at Parkstone found their way across the world. Read the story of Parkstone and the pottery at: http://poolemuseumsociety.wordpress.com