How far did you get with the answers to the quiz? Here is the solution and I hope it all works!
- Bus routes from Poole and their destinations.
- Four Marys: Mary Anning (fossil hunter) / Lady Mary Bankes (defender of Corfe Castle) / Mary Llewellin (first female mayor of Poole) / Mary Spencer Watson (sculptor of Dunshay).
- Inaccurate place names: Isle of Purbeck (not an island) / Maiden Castle (not a castle) / Luckford lake (not a lake) / Nine Barrow Down (has more than 9 barrows).
- Shopping centres: Castlepoint / Dolphin Centre / Sovereign Centre / Brewery Square.
- Christopher Spurrier, 1816 (owners of Upton House in reverse date order).
- Crawford (Tarrant villages in sequence eg. Tarrant Rawston, Tarrant Rushton etc.).
- Falkland Square (eg.) (Places and buildings named after national events in successive centuries).
- Picture of house boat (eg.) (Market Street / Street light / Lighthouse / House ?).
- GORSE DODDER LING BRACKEN (heathland plants)
- THICKFURZE HAM HAVEN TOTTENHAM (old forms of local place names: Heckford, Hamworthy, Sandbanks, Tatnam).
- FLAKE JIGGER QUINTAL TRAIN (Newfoundland salt-cod trade terms: a flake was a platform for drying cod, a jigger was a weighted fish hook, a quintal was a measure of salt fish, about a hundredweight and train was train oil or cod liver oil.
- WOOD POUND HENGIST BAD (add …bury to get four ancient sites, Woodbury, Poundbury etc.)
- Mottos: Who’s Afear’d? / Ad Morem Villae de Poole / Pulchritudo et Salubritas / For Fidelity and Freedom.
- Live entertainment: The air show / Poole Pirates / Beach polo / Boo Bamboo.
- Reading matter: Daily Echo / (A) good book / Poole Advertiser / social media.
- Poole pub crawl: Angel / Butler and Hops / Bermuda Triangle / Blue Boar.